Sunday 11 December 2011

Selective colouring

Selective colouring is a great twist to your photographs.Took me a while to get my head around doing it .But so glad i took the time learning it.You can make a completely non interesting image look great.Like a leaf on the ground .I took this shot in the park across the way from my house .Initially it was the colour of the leaf that caught my eye.But while looking at my shots on the P.C it was bland to say the least,UNTIL i whipped the colour out the shot leaving only the leaf in colour.Turned out to be one of the best shots i got that afternoon.Selective colouring works really well with portraits too.The shot below i got of my children was a nice touch leaving them in colour and turning the rest of the shot to mono.Not only is it good to experiment with post processing like this .Its fun for the kids too.My kids are little buggers for posing for pictures.You can almost see their little brains ticking away when i get my camera out,Thinking to them self's RUN!! dads getting the camera out.Not like me..When i was a kid and someone got a camera out i went into full idiot Zoolander mode,Throwing out every pose i could think of .Its been said before I'm a bit of a show off.That and the fact i like the sound of my own voice. Personally i don't see it ,I just think I'm just very out going .Well, When i start messing around with the image like this, My kids then become quite interested and are willing to sit nicely and have a nice photo taken of them.I suppose its different to them isn't it .Almost like magic ...lol
The dripping tap shot was quite a nice one i thought .shot in shutter priority,Shot at high speed to capture the drip in mid fall.I placed a tea towel on the window ledge so the drip would reflect the pattern of the tea towel.Shot with a Canon EOS 1000D with a 18-55 mm kit lens with x10 macro filter attached .I left the actual drip in colour and made the rest mono.
I have so many ideas in which to experiment with this technique,Yet i don't use it enough.Its not until you sit back and take a look at ya previous shots and think i should do that more often.So by writing about it is kind of my pledge to myself to do more selective colouring shots in the future. 




2 comments:

  1. Super! I have a great idea to take picture in this technique. Sorry for my mistakes, i'm from Poland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dzien dobry, Thanks for the comment my friend ,I would love to hear your idea.maybe give it ago and share back with you to see what you think .. :0)

    ReplyDelete